- Handbag Guide
Our Guide to Choosing the Perfect Handbag
Whether it’s an evening bag, a tote for the rough and tumble of everyday life, or a holdall to take on your travels, choosing your perfect bag should be an exciting process. There are lots of things to consider from colour, size, style, and how it will fit in with your lifestyle. Your new handbag should be something you cherish and enjoy for years to come so, we’ve put together our useful guide and some handy tips to help you make your choice.
1 Totes and Shoppers
A tote or shopper bag is a wardrobe essential. The go-to bag which works for your commute, a shopping trip or everyday wear. Perfect for carrying the daily essentials with lots of room to spare for a laptop, a book and much more. A classic tote will make an effortless transition through all seasons.
2 Handbags and Shoulder Bags
Stylish and practical, the perfect shoulder bag comes in many shapes and sizes from a simple hobo style bag to a handbag with pockets to keep you organised on the go. Spacious enough to carry the essentials such as your purse, keys and phone, with room to spare for those little extras you may pick up during the day.
3 Crossbody Bags and Satchels
Not too big and not too small, the crossbody or messenger style bag is perfect for carrying the daily essentials and keeping both hands free. Defined by a long strap which can be adjusted in length to suit, crossbody bags tend to be smaller in size so ideal for those looking for a more slimline and compact look.
Whether you’re heading off for a travel adventure, taking a short city break, or cycling to work, the trusty backpack is a hands-free essential. Our top tip is to ensure that the shoulder straps are fully adjustable to ensure a comfortable fit.
5 Travel Bags and Holdalls
A journey or special trip always begins with a holdall or travel bag and makes for a stylish alternative to a traditional suitcase. A solid construction is essential to ensure that your belongings stay safe and secure on your travels. External pockets are a welcome addition to keep those essential travel documents close to hand.
6 Purses and Clutches
A purse is one of the most essential and practical accessories you may purchase. A good purse will be easy to access and keep you organised with a place for everything.
7 Clutches and Wristlets
Whether it’s a night on the town or a special event, a clutch bag is an ideal way to accessorise an outfit and ensure those essentials such as lipstick, keys and phone are always close to hand.
8 Key Points
- A leather bag is an investment, and there are some key points to consider when making your choice to ensure your bag will work for you.
- Always consider the purpose of your handbag and the belongings you intend to carry regularly. It’s a good idea to use an existing bag as a baseline for measurements.
- If your bag must fit over the shoulder, check the handle length and drop to allow room to fit over a winter coat and chunky jumper. A crossbody strap will also add extra versatility.
- Handbags come in different finishes ranging from a very structured look through to a soft and slouchy silhouette. It’s important that the structure of a bag is appropriate for the intended purpose to avoid unnecessary wear and stress on the leather.
- If you're purchasing one bag for all occasions, ensure that your choice can make an easy transition between outfits and seasons. Look to choose a classic and timeless piece.
- It’s always nice to experiment with colour but if you’re looking to purchase an everyday tote or handbag consider browns, tans and more muted tones which may tie in with your wardrobe more easily.